Olana hosts annual exhibitions from spring to fall in the Evelyn and Maurice Sharp Gallery on the second floor of the main house and in the Coachmen’s House Gallery. Olana is open all year round for house tours and self guided landscape tours. There are a varieties of events for visitors and families throughout the year.
Evelyn and Maurice Sharp Gallery, Olana
May 11-November 2, 2014
Guest curated by Roberta A. Mayer
All the Raj – Frederic Church and Lockwood de Forest: Painting, Decorating and Collecting at Olana, an exhibition featuring oil sketches and decorative arts by landscape painter and 19th century tastemaker Lockwood de Forest, is currently on view at Olana, the historic home and studio of Frederic Church. Lockwood de Forest (1850-1932) studied painting with his great-uncle the eminent landscape artist Frederic Church in the 1870s; the exhibition begins by highlighting sketches showing that the two artists worked side by side at Olana. At that time, Church was busy designing and building the main house, and the young de Forest watched Church draw inspiration from books on Persian and other exotic architecture. In the 1880s de Forest traveled to India to start a decorative arts business creating beautiful Indian and Kashmiri decorative objects to an American audience. De Forest provided Church with carved teak for fireplace surrounds, exquisite painted furniture from Kashmir, expertly engraved brass trays, and a variety of other lavish Indian objects. The exhibition will be on view from May 11 through November 2, 2014.
The organizers of All the Raj acknowledge the generous support received from:
Susan Winokur and Paul Leach
Bindy and Stephen Kaye
Lee Anderson Memorial Fund
Additional support has been provided by
Posy Bass and Henry Taves
Valerie and Brock Ganeles
Frank and Patricia Goss
Sara and Tom Griffen
The Olana Exhibition Fund
Karen Zukowski and David Diamond
The exhibition is greatly enriched by gifts from Frank and Patricia Goss, Kellam de Forest, Mark LaSalle and The Olana Partnership. It is further enhanced by generous loans from private collections of Anonymous, Associated Artists, Posy Bass and Henry Taves, Gerald Peters Gallery, Richard T. Sharp, and Gerold Wunderlich & Co.
The Board and staff of The Olana Partnership wish to recognize the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo; New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation Commissioner Rose Harvey; Deputy Commissioner for Historic Preservation Ruth Pierpont; Regional Director, Taconic Region Linda Cooper; and Director of the Bureau of Historic Sites Mark Peckham.
Coachman’s House Gallery at Olana
June 28- November 2, 2014
Attributed to Felix Bonfils, Frederic Edwin Church and His Son, Frederic Joseph in Beirut, 1868, carte-de-visite, photograph, 4 7/8 x 3 3/8 in., OL.1984.446, Collection Olana State Historic Site, NYSOPRHP
This documentary installation shines light on the Historic Artists’ Homes and Studios (HAHS) program of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. HAHS is a consortium of institutions across the United States committed to the conservation, interpretation, and public accessibility of artists’ homes and workspaces. This exhibition features information about the consortium and documentary photographs and personal artists’ quotes from its nearly 40 member sites, including an image of Frederic Church and his son on a camel in Beirut (1868), the trip which inspired the Persian-style house and studio the painter would later build at Olana.
Other photographs range from the paint-splattered barn used by Jackson Pollack and Lee Krasner in East Hampton, Long Island, to the carriage house in which Grant Wood painted American Gothic in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, to the hand-crafted woodworking shop of Sam Maloof in Alta Loma, California. In addition to educating audiences about HAHS, the exhibition will place Olana and Church’s studio in a larger discussion about the importance of preserving historically significant places and structures as part of the nation’s cultural heritage.
The Historic Artists’ Homes and Studios Program of the National Trust for Historic Preservation is supported by a generous grant from the Wyeth Foundation for American Art.