Working at Olana
The Olana Partnership
Olana State Historic Site, Hudson, NY
Reports to: Director of Advancement and Marketing
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Olana Partnership is seeking a Communications Assistant to support its growing communications and marketing needs. The Communications Assistant will provide exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills. Candidates should have a ‘can do’ attitude and be flexible with their work and be able to adapt to business demands. The candidate will possess the core competencies of The Olana Partnership’s communications activities with particular responsibility for coordinating and developing content, tracking analytics, managing the communications calendar, and drafting social media and press releases. The Communications Assistant will work within and support the Development Office with a primary responsibility toward social media and communications.
- Assist with the implementation of communications strategies;
- Provide communications support to internal teams;
- Draft and edit communications copy (e.g. press releases, publications, social media posts, eblasts);
- Assist in the design of marketing materials;
- Maintain web content and execute social media strategies;
- Update databases and media lists;
- Track projects and media exposure;
- Facilitate effective internal communications;
- Maintain calendars and appointments;
- Prepare reports, track and analyze analytics;
- Prepare press kits and coordinate press tours and image permissions;
- Update the website and draft eblasts;
- Update and maintain spreadsheets and data entry;
- Assist Development Department as needed;
- Assist with photography for social media and promotion;
- Assist with press pitches and outreach;
- All other tasks as assigned.
Supervisory Duties: NA
- Bachelor’s Degree; Major or concentration in communications, marketing, journalism or equivalent preferred;
- Substantial experience with social media, preferably in a professional capacity;
- A command of spreadsheet preparation and analysis as well as proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite programs including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- The ability to work cooperatively with several departments and accept feedback;
- Experience in Adobe Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator) with an eye toward photography and design;
- Excellent attention to detail and a commitment to quality in all work;
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, written, and verbal skills;
- Willingness to have a flexible work schedule including nights and weekends;
- A collegial approach to her/his work and a sense of humor; and,
- An appreciation for discretion and confidentiality.
Salary Range: $41,600-$44,000 based on experience. The Olana Partnership offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
To be considered, candidates must submit resume, cover letter (describing interest in this position), as well as two design or writing samples to email@example.com.
As required by the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation, all candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening, and all offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check.
Olana State Historic Site is a tobacco-free environment.
The Olana Partnership is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
About Olana and The Olana Partnership: Olana is the greatest masterwork of Frederic Edwin Church (1826-1900), the preeminent American artist of the mid-19th century and the most important artist’s home, studio, and designed landscape in the United States. Church designed Olana as a holistic environment integrating his advanced ideas about art, architecture, landscape design, and environmental conservation. Olana’s 250-acre artist-designed landscape with five miles of carriage roads and a Persian-inspired house at its summit embraces unrivaled panoramic views of the Hudson Valley and Catskill Mountains and welcomes more than 170,000 visitors annually. The landscape is open for guided touring, and reservations are highly recommended. The landscape is open daily 8 AM-sunset.
Olana State Historic Site, administered by the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, is a designated National Historic Landmark and one of the most visited sites in the state. The Olana Partnership is the 501(c)(3) not-for-profit cooperative partner of the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation at Olana State Historic Site
The Olana Partnership: Per Diem Educator, K-12 Programs
Reports to: Education Coordinator
FLSA Status: Per Diem
*Now hiring educators fluent in Spanish and Bangla
The Olana Partnership seeks two Per Diem Educators to join the Education staff to provide interactive experiences for K-12 school audiences at Olana State Historic Site. Olana’s field trip curricula focus on art history, art education, civic readiness, social studies, English language arts, and environmental sciences through place-based learning at a landmark site of American art. Onsite and virtual tours incorporate inquiry-based teaching strategies and hands on activities to foster learning experiences for a wide range of school audiences from kindergarten through high school. Per Diem educators will participate in trainings and facilitate The Olana Partnership’s field trip curricula onsite. There is some flexibility as to which days of the week candidates are available, but priority will be given to those who can work Tuesdays-Fridays from 9:00-1:00pm and can be available two or more days a week.
The Olana Partnership (TOP) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit educational organization whose mission is to preserve and interpret Olana, Frederic Church’s artistic masterwork. We operate Olana State Historic Site in a cooperative agreement with the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Comprised of a 250-acre designed landscape containing a Persian-inspired house and studio and a historic farm complex, Olana is a masterwork of American landscape art created over 40 years (1860-1900) by famed Hudson River School artist Frederic Church. The Olana Partnership’s (TOP’s) vision is to make Olana the most widely recognized artist’s home and studio in the world, and since our founding in 1971 we have worked closely with our New York State partners to make this vision a reality. Olana hosts more than 170,000 visitors annually and is a National Historic Landmark. TOP continuously introduces new educational programs to reflect our vision of Olana as a true teaching museum, offering diverse learning experiences like field trips, virtual webinars, workshops, and classes, walking tours, family programs, and events.
- Implement field trips and school programs by engaging students in inquiry and hands-on activities for groups in grades K – 12.
- Attend 1-3 trainings led by The Olana Partnership staff throughout the year.
- Work within the guidelines for each school tour curriculum to design a lesson plan for specific tour groups responsive to grade level and developmental needs.
- Prepare materials, research, and teaching tools for your group’s visit.
- Clean up after each group’s visit and aid the Education Coordinator in maintaining the organization of the Wagon House Education Center.
- Work with full-time staff to communicate about group needs, and concerns about programs, and/or evaluate programs as needed.
- BA or BS in art, art education, education, history, art history, or museum studies.
- Prior K-12 teaching experience is required.
- Prior experiences teaching in a museum or cultural setting is appreciated.
- Excellent communication skills an enthusiasm for working with school-aged children is a must.
- An interest in researching content related to Frederic Church’s Olana to prepare for field trips; an ability to learn and retain information to support age-appropriate program facilitation.
- A reflective approach and ability to think creatively.
- Ability to work independently and proactively while being a team player.
- An interest in fostering accessible and equitable experiences for school groups in museum and cultural spaces.
- Commitment to DEI initiatives and accessibility within education environments. Documentation of this commitment preferred.
- English fluency required; Spanish language fluency is a plus.
- Red Cross First Aid Certification preferred
Works on select program days when available Tuesdays-Fridays. Must be able to carry chairs and tables (around 30lbs), walk longer distances during outdoor programs, and work outside in all seasons. Please note that all per diem educators will be required to go through a background check.
Educators are paid $200 per program ($100 for abridged tours). This rate is inclusive of prep, research and clean-up. Training rate is $20 per hour.
To apply, please submit a resume, short cover letter, and a sample lesson plan demonstrating your past experiences working with youth audiences in an educational capacity to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Olana Partnership at Olana State Historic Site offers annual internships in different departments and areas of responsibility. Internships aim to teach research and administrative methods and project assignments are tailored to interns’ specific interests. Submissions are accepted on a rolling basis based on availability. Submit a brief cover letter and resume via email to Carolyn Keogh or call 518-567-2170 for more information.
At this time, there are no specific internship openings.