Working at Olana
The Olana Partnership, Hudson, NY
Reports to: Director of Advancement and Marketing
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Olana Partnership
The Olana Partnership (TOP) supports the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation (NYSOPRHP) in preserving and interpreting Olana State Historic Site (Olana). TOP is both a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and an education corporation chartered by the Board of Regents of the State of New York. TOP’s annual operating budget is $1.5 million. Through four decades, TOP has harnessed the passion and philanthropic support of thousands of supporters to restore Olana’s treasures of art, architecture, and landscape. TOP’s mission extends to the stewardship of Olana’s nationally-significant viewshed and to developing Olana as a vital educational resource for visitors from across the world and the communities of the region. TOP’s vision is of a fully-restored Olana, vibrant with the activity of artists, scholars, students, and visitors, that will be the most widely-recognized artist’s home and studio in the world.
Olana State Historic Site
A National Historic Landmark, Olana is the greatest masterpiece of America’s preeminent artist of the mid-19thC, Frederic Edwin Church (1826-1900). He achieved international fame with paintings such as Niagara (1857) and The Heart of the Andes (1859) and created Olana over 40 years, beginning in 1860. Church designed every aspect of Olana, the eclectic fantasy of the main house, the bucolic assemblage of the farm complex, and the 250-acre landscape that provide a romantic, picturesque setting for the whole and engages sweeping 360-degree views. In 2019 there were approximately 170,000 visitors to the landscape and 33,000 visitors to the main house.
TOP seeks a Communications Assistant to support its growing communications and marketing needs. The Communications Assistant will provide exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills. Candidates should have a ‘can do’ attitude and be flexible with their work and be able to adapt to business demands. S/he will possess the core competencies of TOP’s communications activities with particular responsibility for coordinating and developing content, tracking analytics, managing the communications calendar, and drafting press releases. The Communications Assistant will work within and support the Development Office with a primary responsibility toward social media and communications.
• Assist with the implementation of communications strategies
• Provide communications support to internal teams
• Draft and edit communications copy (e.g. press releases, publications, social media posts, eblasts)
• Assist in the design of marketing materials
• Assist in maintaining web content and executing social media strategies
• Update databases and media lists
• Track projects and media exposure
• Facilitate effective internal communications
• Maintain calendars and appointments
• Prepare reports, track and analyze analytics
• Prepare press kits and coordinate press tours and image permissions
• Update the website and draft eblasts
• Update and maintain spreadsheets and data entry
• Assist Development Department as needed
• Assist with photography for social media and promotion
• All other tasks as assigned
• Bachelor’s Degree; Major or concentration in communications, marketing, journalism or equivalent preferred;
• Substantial experience with social media, preferably in a professional capacity;
• A command of spreadsheet preparation and analysis as well as proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite programs including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
• Experience in Adobe Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator);
• Excellent attention to detail and a commitment to quality in all work;
• Strong interpersonal, organizational, written, and verbal skills;
• Willingness to have a flexible work schedule including nights and weekends;
• A collegial approach to her/his work and a sense of humor; and,
• An appreciation for discretion and confidentiality.
Comprehensive benefits package with a starting salary ranging between $36,000-$42,000, depending on experience and qualifications.
We firmly support the principle and philosophy of equal opportunity for all individuals, regardless of age, race, gender, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other protected category pursuant to applicable federal, state or local law.
Submit cover letter, resume and any professional/work-related social media and writing samples to:
Communications Assistant Search
c/o Melanie Hasbrook
The Olana Partnership
PO Box 199
Hudson, NY 12534
Application Deadline November 30, 2020
The Olana Partnership is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Museum Education Intern
The Education Department for The Olana Partnership at Olana State Historic Site is offering an internship for the 2020 summer season. Education internships aim to teach research, program design & implementation, administrative support, and public education methods. Interns will work on projects relating to Olana’s adult and youth audiences. Project assignments will be tailored to our interns’ specific interests; participants take on a distinct project and can use as a work example in future job interviews. Interns will work directly with the Director of Education & Public Programming and the Education Coordinator, who can assist with formal recommendations or academic credit requirements. Applicants should be prepared to commit a minimum of 2 days per week over the summer. Interns will receive a small honorarium at the completion of their internship. Submit brief cover letter and resume via email to Liz Bouyea, or call 518-751-6837 for more information. Submissions are accepted on a rolling basis.
Marketing and Development Intern
Interns in the Marketing and Development Department work closely with development staff to advance marketing and development objectives for the organization which includes upcoming exhibitions, events and programs. The intern will gain valuable hands-on experience in a nonprofit advocacy organization while improving their communication and organizational skills. Responsibilities will include research, writing, editing and project management for a nonprofit whose mission is to advocate for Olana State Historic Site. The Director of Advancement and Marketing will work in conjunction with university or college staff to coordinate requirements for credit. Applicants should be prepared to commit a minimum of 60 hours over the course of a semester, 120 preferred. Submit cover letter and resume via email to Mabel Bermejo.
The Olana Partnership offers a photography internship annually (fall, spring, and summer). Students work with the Education and Marketing Department staff to schedule for a variety of 10 events to shoot – art-making workshops, staged photos, tours, etc. After the internship, interns are required to send their edited and organized photo files. A memory card will be provided and there is a camera for use. Students may use their personal cameras if preferred. Every photo used in Olana’s publications will give the intern name credit for their photos. Must have some flexibility in hours and availability on Saturdays. This internship is unpaid, but we can assist with formal recommendations or academic credit requirements. If interested, please send portfolio of 10-15 images, resume and cover letter to Liz Bouyea, or call 518-751-6837 for more information. Submissions are accepted on a rolling basis.
Olana Museum Store Intern
May 20th-August 5th, 2020
Two Days a Week, 165 hours
The Olana Museum Store is seeking an intern to work with the Olana Museum Store Manager with a strong interest in retail, eCommerce and marketing to help grow the Olana Museum Store’s digital and eCommerce presence.
Duties and Responsibilities
The intern’s duties and responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
– Photographing merchandise
– Photo editing
– Writing product descriptions
– Preparing store promotional materials relevant to holidays, exhibition, programs and events
– Researching advertisement opportunities as relevant to publications, groups and radio
– Assisting in development of wholesale outreach for merchandise offered to other venues
– Participating in staff meetings as needed
– Providing support for ongoing projects and events as related to store and marketing needs
– Strong reading, writing and proofreading skills
– An interest in retail, the arts, marketing, business, photography
– Good organizational and project management skills
– Self-motivated, proactive approach to projects, and ability to work well with others
– Fluency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and Adobe Suite
How to Apply
Please email resume, cover letter and three references to Rachel Tice.
Deadline, March 31st, 2020